Sunday 1 May 2011

Part II- What's in the name?

So what should the new CFL Ottawa team have to represent themselves in the greatest league in North America?!

I'm big into animal groupings, it's kinda my weird fun knowledge that I love to know. Ottawa is Canada's capital city and is especially known for their Parliament buildings where all the MPs of Canada come together to fight out issues on how to make the nation better (though sometimes this is a slower process unfortunately). Do you guys know what a Parliament is as an animal grouping? Well it's a group of Owls. At first even to me this name seemed somewhat lame, just another animal name based team, but then it started to grow on me more. Being named the Ottawa Owls is a little clever in my mind, and Jeff Hunt and his marketing team could definitely market the franchise easily with "Parliament" in mind!

So does this name work for you?! Could you see yourself being a fan of a CFL team named the Ottawa Owls? Would you give a hoot for that name (sorry for the lame crack)? Would love your feedback and comments on this issue. As in the end, this is Ottawa's team and for it to truly take off for the new/ old fans Hunt should engage himself with them. Let the fans decide on what to call this team for that's the way ALL business is going these days!

6 comments:

  1. It isn't so much that I don't like the name the Ottawa Owls, as much as I don't like it for the football team. Maybe if Ottawa had a minor league baseball or basketball team. But not the CFL.

    Ideally, I would like the Rough Rider name to come back. But if not, the name should incorporate the R in some fashion. Perhaps something tied into the Rideau Canal.

    ReplyDelete
  2. See Part I! I'd love to incorporate the canal in the name... but it's tough to do without sounding like a "boatmen" (a nickname for the Argos)!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ottawa Owls--00--Nope, because detractors would nickname them the Zeros.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ottawa River Riders (or Ottawa River Raftsmen)
    Ottawa Rideau Riders--still keep the R or RR logo

    Ottawa Knights--OK---I can hear the cheers of OKay!Ottawa!--- each time the Knights score.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ottawa Renegade Riders--still the R or RR logo-keeps continuity with both CFL teams of the past

    ReplyDelete
  6. Socrates, I guess that's a fair enough assessment. But I feel the Parliament theme will grow on you! River Riders is to much like the Argos... and as they were the most hated rival during the Renegades tenure why would you want to duplicate something like that!

    ReplyDelete